Morning Glories

My morning glories were planted from seed, a bit late in the season as I recall. I planted them to crawl up the post on the back porch and the drain pipe running down from the roof. I wasn’t sure what I would get.

They grew and they grew and they did not stop!I tried string for them to climb but I only gave them vertical support. Next spring, I plan to make ties horizontally as well so they create a screen between me and my neighbor.

I made the error of not thinning the seedlings. This may have contributed to the late bloom and vulnerability to pests early on.

My other issue with them is that something ate many of the leaves, leaving unsightly holes. Will have to investigate what to do about that.  I’d like to do something that would not be harmful to birds or bees.

The flowers did not seem to enjoy the heat of summer. There were few and they were very faded until it cooled off and then the display became much more vibrant.

Right now, the dead vines and many of the dead leaves are still there. I’ve left them because the birds seem to be eating the seeds and possibly nesting in the vines. Will have to see if this is something I can control. The other control issue is whether or not this plant is going to self seed itself this spring. It might take off and become invasive.

Quick update to my Morning Glory adventures…

Sitting in sun room on a damp morning, I looked out through my mass of Morning Glory vines, now brown and dormant but covered with seedpods, and it looked as though there were hundreds of water droplets hanging from the ends of the stems. I noted it as being a cool phenomena and went on my way.

A couple sunny days later, I looked out and noticed same droplet looking spots. On investigation, I noticed that what I thought was water, was in fact seed pod  that had popped open to release the black seed, leaving the translucent shell of the pod. Very pretty. Unfortunately, the mess of vines isn’t very desirable at all.